Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm here.



Hi everyone. I just arrived in town today at 3:25pm. I weighed in at 6 pounds 12 ounces with a length of 19.5 inches. Oh yeah, my feet are HUGE. That's why mommy's ribs have been sore lately.
My trip out didn't start so well. Mom woke up at 11:30pm on 9/1/08, in labor on Labor Day, after she had been asleep for less than an hour. The contractions were hard and pretty close together, about every 3 minutes. Mommy woke up Daddy a little while later and said, " I think these are the real ones. They don't feel anything like last week's. So daddy monitored mommy's contractions for over an hour and since they were so regular he said it was time to head for the hospital.
At Kaiser Harbor City, the nurse told mommy that she was only 1cm dilated and she needed to walk for the next 2 hours. Mommy was freezing the the mean nurse wouldn't let her wear her warm pants, only the breezy hospital gown! She was not the most compassionate lady around. Mommy was crying and she told her that the pain would only get worse. Her contractions got harder and came faster until mommy was exhausted. The pain was really bad and mommy thought she was going to die. Fortunately there was a shift change in the staff and the new nurse & midwife got mommy out of the bed and into the rocking chair. Then mommy got this injection that numbed a lot of the pain & made her sleepy so she napped between contractions with her eyes rolling back in her head, freaking daddy out a bit. She went from 1-4cm and I could start to see the light.
About 11am, Mommy got an epidural and that sealed the deal. Almost all the pain went away except for her right hip. Poor daddy could hardly stand seeing mommy in all of that pain.
By 2pm mommy was fully dilated and she started to push me out around 2:30ish. The whole time mommy was calm and relaxed (who would have thought) and I popped out at 3:25pm(on Nana's birthday). I was so happy to be out of that hot and humid womb that I just lay on mommy's chest and snuggled up.
I really like my mommy and daddy. I have mommy's eyelids and daddy's eyes(gray). I got mommy's cute button nose and her long legs but I got daddy's little lips. He will hear about that when I'm a teenager. I'm including some new pictures of me. I hope to see you soon. I want to meet everyone whose has been following my story.
We had a nice relaxing 48 hours in the hospital as little family. Mommy never thought she would want to stay, but she really enjoyed it there.
Love,
Kana Keilani McCue

No comments: